Faith & Power Faith & Power - Saxony in the Europe of the Reformation Era
exhibition torgau journey information press events contact
torgau


Town history

Hartenfels
Palace

Grand Staircase

Chancellery House

Town Hall

St. Mary's
Church

Region

City-Map


As is the case in many a Saxon town, the large Torgau marketplace is enhanced by the mighty town hall façade which, is also being restored on the occasion of the Second Saxon State Exhibition.

This architectural work of 1565 is unusual by virtue of its stately size.

After its predecessor building had been torn down, the new town hall directly adjoined the choir of the former Church of St. Nicholas before this part of the church was demolished in the nineteenth century. The church’s nave, with its Baroque spires on the west side, still stands in the courtyard of the town hall.

Rathaus der Stadt Torgau

Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden
s-logo