Faith & Power Faith & Power - Saxony in the Europe of the Reformation Era
exhibition torgau journey information press events contact
torgau


Town history

Hartenfels
Palace

Grand Staircase

Chancellery House

Town Hall

St. Mary's
Church

Region

City-Map


The Ernestine electors expanded Hartenfels Palace into a splendid residence. The irregular four-winged building complex was built in several stages.

The oldest extant part of the palace comprises the Albrecht Wing, which was completed in about 1485. This was followed by the Johann Friedrich Wing with the Grand Staircase, a spiral staircase projecting from its façade, and finally by the residential wing to the northwest, containing the Palace Chapel consecrated in 1544.

Following the Battle of Mühlberg in 1547, the significance of Hartenfels Palace waned, though it continued to serve the Saxon electors in Dresden as a residence until well into the seventeenth century.

The palace fell into disrepair after the Seven Years War and was used after 1815 as a Prussian casern. Today the palace house is the rural district office.

In preparation for the Second Saxon State Exhibition, Hartenfels Palace was renovated for a total of approximately 13.7 million Euros donated by the Free State of Saxony, the District of Torgau-Oschatz and the federal government of Germany. The Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz and the Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt are supporting the restoration of the Grand Staircase. The renovation and restoration work was completed in the summer of 2002.

Portal Schloss Hartenfels, Bärengraben

Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden
s-logo